Saturday, July 14, 2012

DIY Ombre Shorts

Holy cow! It's twenty minutes before I leave for work and I just remembered that I had promised to post how to make those shorts I wore in my last post! It's actually very simple, and you could use just about any pair of shorts you like. I used a pair of high waisted Calvin Klein cut offs that I nicked from a thrift store a while back that I just didn't ever feel were snazzy enough. This spruced them up quite nicely :) So without further a-do, here are some instructions + pictures.


Materials:
1. Old jeans or cut offs
2. Hair tie
3. Something to hold your bleach/water (I used a milk jug)
4. Bleach


I literally just cut off the top of a milk jug and filled it about half full with hot water and just dumped bleach in. I have no idea how much other than I know the water turned a little bit green/yellow and it smelled! So just get a good amount in. More bleach = less color.


These are the shorts I used (plus a little corner of my knee ^^). 


Next, I gathered up my shorts in one spot and tied a hair band around them. Make sure that it's a pretty even line all the way around your shorts and that the bleach isn't going to be higher up on the back of your shorts. I had to even that out and play around with it until I felt like the line would wrap around evenly.


Next was the easy part. I just stuck the jeans inside of the jug and let them sit. Make sure your bleach/water mixture comes up as far as your hair band does, otherwise the "ombré" effect wont be as apparent. I let these sit for about 45 mins. They were a fairly light wash denim, however, so I would leave it sit longer if you are using a dark wash. 



Voila! Now you have your very own custom pair of ombre denim shorts. They were pretty easy to make, wouldn't you say? Make sure that when you wash them afterwards that you wash them alone, even if you rinse them out before hand, because you don't want any residual bleach messing up the rest of your clothes. Next time I think I'll use a darker wash denim and let the line a little bit down so it's more half/half in terms of coloring, but these still look great! Well, now I'm pretty sure that I'm officially going to be late for work, and I can't let those little kiddies down! Happy bleaching, guys :)

PS- Ignore the gross, brown, crunchy grass in the pictures. It has been so awful hot here, and combined with no rain for weeks now, so the poor grass is suffering. Maybe I should do a rain dance later on...


14 comments:

  1. wow great DIY!

    http://gorgeous-look-olga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm sad. I'd rather have my (crappy) phone drown :(

    I love this DIY! Been wanting to try this, but then there's always something else that's distracting.
    Do you shop at thrift stores a lot?

    Greetings from the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yes, I do, quite a lot actually. Really I shop more at Goodwill and Salvation Army than any thrifty stores because I don't really know where any thrift stores are in my area haha I'll be needing to find some!

      Delete
  3. wow, that's really amazing!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooooah love that DIY! :D I could never do that by myself (I'm not that talented when I try to do such things) :D Your blog is so cool! Would you like to follow each other?

    xoxo Eeva
    http://eeva-theapple.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now follwoing you! Have a great day sweetie!:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Honestly it's very simple and didn't really take that long. Give it a shot if you have an extra pair of shorts lying around!

      Delete
  5. wow !!!! this is just amazing :) I just love it I might do it one day :)
    you are sooo lucky that you have sun and hot weather because in UK its just constantly raining :(
    maybe you would like to follow each other so we can stay in contact please let me know or just follow me at http://emnfashionandphotography.blogspot.co.uk/ and I will follow you back so I can learn more new things :)
    XXX EMN :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome DIY! I think the brown grass actually adds character to the pics! Gives em a very rustic country vibe ;)
    Can't wait to see these on you!
    xL

    http://themarcystop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe such an amazing blog commented on mine! Thank you so much for the feedback :) I'm sure I'll be wearing them all the time in outfits because I just love them so much. Check back sometime and I'm sure they're be up :)

      Delete
  7. Love the DIY, the shorts look fab :)




    Santenne of Crystallized Elements.
    http://crystallized-elements.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been saying I'm going to try something like this but I still haven't gotten around to it.. I must complete it before the summer is over, lol.

    xo Sally
    http://goldcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete