Thursday, April 18, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Butterfly Clips

I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the things we rocked "back in the day". This is going to be a new Thursday weekly post where I get nostalgic about the stuff I wore as a kid (and in some cases regret wearing at all). Week 1? Butterfly clips!


Had I had a guinea pig, I would have done this.

If you were a girl in the 90s/early 2000s, you already know all about these. Amanda Bynes wore them on her show "The Amanda Show", the Olsen twins wore them in their movies, and they were dirt cheap at Wal-Mart. Being colorful and easy to use catapulted these strange little clips to a near cult status with little girls. 

I remember have an entire drawer just filled with every variety of these: solid, transparent, glitter, metallic, pastel, neon, and every category came in every color of the rainbow plus some. They never did really work well for me, though, because my hair is so thick and my curls didn't like to fit in the little tiny teeth of the clips (maybe this is where my battle with my hair began). 

I think the worst thing about these little menaces was just how SHARP they were! Drop one of these babies on the floor and forget to pick it up and you're looking at a screaming third grader in the middle of the night. I guess that's one way to keep them from getting into the cookies in the middle of the night...

Do you remember wearing these? Do you remember any celebrities rocking them as well?

1 comment:

  1. I have really thick curly hair too, but I was insistent I was going to wear butterfly clips even though they held absolutely NONE of my hair. The first thing I thought when I saw this was "They were so useless!" Apparently that wasn't a problem for other girls?

    xoxo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete